Excessive Force by Campus Security

February 2017 | 0 Comments  Average 5 out of 5

Share This:

  • Share on Facebook
  • Share on Google Plus
  • Share on Linkedin
« Back

About This Resource

United Educators (UE) claims show that excessive force by campus security can be a significant source of liability for higher education institutions. This bulletin explores 45 claims UE received from 2011 to 2015 alleging excessive force by campus security. The claims generated more than $10.4 million in losses. About 80 percent of these losses went to indemnity payments, and the remaining 20 percent were defense costs. While a small number of claims cost more than $1 million each to resolve, the median claim cost $65,000.

In the wake of viral videos, community protests, media attention, and a national conversation on race and social justice, many college administrators are asking how to avoid an excessive force incident on their campus. This publication explores trends from UE’s excessive force claims and provides strategies for managing this significant risk. 


Add Comment

Text Only 2000 character limit

Page 1 of 1